To celebrate St David’s Day, we’ve teamed up with Healthaspire to bring you their mouth-watering recipe for a St David’s Day Bake.
Ellen Picton, owner of Healthaspire, has kindly shared her healthy recipe for a St David’s Day Bake. Ellen is a nutritionist, ‘real food’ fanatic and has been based at Milford Waterfront for over 6 years. During this time, she has helped many people with nutritional advice and even has her own Healthaspire Youtube channel on which she shows you how to cook her favourite recipes. Healthaspire also offers food intolerance testing, weight loss coaching, cookery courses and residential retreats.
This St David’s Day Bake recipe combines Welsh rarebit, smoked Welsh ham and Wales’s national vegetable….leeks.
St David’s Day Bake (serves 4 to 6 people).
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and diced
4 chicken breasts, cubed
200g smoked Welsh ham or bacon
2 tbsp corn flour
300ml double cream
100g cheddar cheese, grated
1 tbsp mustard (English)
1 large leek, sliced
1. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan. Then add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, on a low heat.
2. Add the chicken breasts and bacon. Stir until all of the meat is sealed.
3. Sprinkle over the corn flour, making sure that you coat all of the meat.
4. Pour in the cream, mustard and water.
5. Add the leeks to the pan and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Tip the contents into a large oven dish and top with grated cheese before baking on the middle shelf of an oven for 30 minutes.
7. Serve this creamy dish with lots of green vegetables or as you wish.
We think St David himself would approve of this one!
Let us know if you try the recipe by posting on social media using the hashtag #MilfordWaterfront.
For more great recipes like this, check out Ellen’s cookbook.
The Green Genie – Vegetarian & Vegan Bistro
At Milford Waterfront's only vegetarian and vegan restaurant you can expect nutritious and flavour-packed dishes including tasty gluten free options.Read more